Marketers are doing it all wrong.
Somewhere in the heat of the content marketing revolution, we got the idea that the more content you produce, the more successful you’ll be. That’s how we got to the point of targeted advertising online telling us about products that will turn us into “content marketing machines”.
I don’t know about you, but I have no desire to be a machine. And that sounds like the furthest from the initial context of content marketing as you could get. We’re here to create relevant, educational content to help more buyers through the process.
That’s why we actually need more promotion.
The 80/20 Rule: Content Promotion to Production
Derek Halpern, founder of Social Triggers explains that the key to great content marketing is only 20% in the content you create. The other 80% is in the promotion. In other words, you should be splitting your time 80/20 to promotion vs. creation.
“Content without the marketing is not content marketing – it’s just content”, explained Sujan Patel, co-founder of Content Marketer and Narrow.io, in a recent article.
And yes, this extends to video content. Because we all know that publishing your video to YouTube, your website, or your blog is only the first step. People will not flock to your new video, unless you’re Apple or Volkswagen (and since you’re reading this, I’m going to guess you’re not).
Strong promotion is the key to any successful video campaign.
The Benefits of Focusing on Video Promotion
If you spend the effort to build out a strategic promotional strategy and build it into every single video campaign so that it grows up from being an afterthought to becoming standard, and important practice, you’ll notice these benefits right away:
- You’ll spend less time and see greater results: let’s face it, creating content is a time-consuming task. If you could trade some of your content creation time for time building new promotion strategies, sharing videos across various social networks, creating shorter video clips as teasers, etc, you’d attract more viewers and more leads (if you’re using video to generate leads).
- Your videos will get in front of more of the right eyes: by dedicating effort to where your video content will be promoted like selecting specific audiences on social or segmenting email lists, you’re spending time ensuring that the content you’ve worked so hard on actually gets in front of the audience that’s going to care about it.
- You’ll create better video content: All of a sudden, when you’re creating less content but know that it’s going to be spread far and wide, you (a) have more time to create more relevant, in-depth, killer content and (b) care even more than you did before that the work you’re putting out there reflects strongly on your brand because it will have that much more of an impact.
Tips for Video Promotion from Today’s Marketers
Since we thought promotion was so important, we decided to ask 8 marketers who are actively using video in their marketing efforts and (more importantly!) focusing heavily on the promotion of those assets. Firstly, they agreed with us 100%. Secondly, they shared their best tips. Check them out in the infographic below!
Originally posted 2016-05-12 09:55:32.